Saturday, August 21, 2010

Misawa City Festival (Goodbye Summer)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The Misawa City festival celebrates the end of summer. Like last year, I was gone for a large chunk of the summer in Misawa. This means I missed out on some cool stuff- festivals, floats, the good fruit season, fireworks. However, it also means I avoided a substantial portion of the disgusting, wish-I-was-dead, sticky, heavy inferno of summer heat up here. I shouldn't be complaining because I've only had to deal with it for a week and it will probably be over pretty soon, but eww. I'm not a fan. So in that respect, I am happy to think about summer coming to an end and very much looking forward to fall.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So anyway, this festival was pretty neat. The floats were much more impressive (and numerous) than we had envisioned for a little town like Misawa. The float-makers went all-out. They were ginormous, but from our parade perch we didn't even get to see them fully displayed, as they had retracting parts that shrunk when passing underneath street signs and wires.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So you can get an idea of the size, performers, and "special effects" most of these floats had, here's a short video clip I took:

Kinda cool, right? In addition to the floats, we chowed down on the brightest ice cream cones known to man:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Good festival! Bring on Fall! (For more festival pics, click here)
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments: