Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thrilled! (ish)

Backstory: A month ago I got some gum inflammation around an impacted wisdom tooth. They were adamant that I needed to have all 4 wisdom teeth removed as soon as possible, so they gave me a temporary fix to deal with the pain until they could schedule me for the extraction (a month later, aka today)... 

This morning I went in for my evaluation appointment to begin the process, and (after sitting in the chair for 15 minutes while a bumbling, kind of spacey dentist looked around for my file and tried to figure out what my appointment was for) I was told that they recently changed their policy and now the only person authorized to do extractions is the dental surgeon (thank goodness, because this random dentist dude did NOT inspire confidence...). However, they are so backed up now that it would be a long time until I could get an appointment with him, and my symptoms have gone away, so I was told to "just forget about it." According to him, I still have a few years until I'd be of an age that would make them worry about me recovering from the surgery, so "I should be good." If my inflammation comes back, I should rinse my mouth with hydrogen peroxide (ew!). Then he sent me on my merry way.

Now the procrastinating, dental-phobic avoider in me is ECSTATIC!!!! I've been dreading this procedure since I knew it existed, and I actually broke down in tears for most of an entire night when I found out it was time to face it a month ago. Now I've been officially approved to get out of it- WOO HOO!!!

However, the intelligent, rational, responsible bit inside of me (that my other side is trying with all its might to squash) is rather upset with this dentist, and knows I need to have this done. Before he told me to "just forget about it," the dentist gave me the spiel about how this can lead to recurring infections and bone loss and how it gets harder to recover from and more difficult to perform the older you get, blah blah blah. The fact that the first dentist I saw (who seemed much more competent) said I had no choice but to get them out as soon as possible makes me think the guy today was just brushing me off because they're crazy busy. I know the sooner I do it, the better. So I know I need to break down and make an appointment with the surgeon, regardless of what silly-dentist dude told me today. 

Plus, I'll have to do it EVENTUALLY, and if I do it while we're overseas it'll be free. At home, I'll have to pay. Blah. 

Also, if they changed their policy and weren't going to let silly-dentist do my extraction in the first place, why did they not cancel my evaluation appointment and reschedule me with the surgeon? There was no point in me going in today (or stressing about my countdown to doom for the past 4 weeks). Once he figured out why I was there, he said, "Oh, uhhh..." and then proceeded to explain everything. Stupid system.

I was happy when I started this entry, now I'm annoyed...

6 comments:

Krisytan said...

Make the appointment! Do it!! They will toss you to the waste side just to not have to deal with you! Do it, do it, do it!

haljoachim said...

Listen to Kristan. Please avoid the bumbling doofus/dentist though.

haljoachim said...

APRIL 4
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATTY !!!

katherine said...

I woke up and thought, "Oh, happy birthday stumpy!!!" and now that I'm writing this I realize your birthday ended 6 minutes ago... for you... so I guess I missed it. Stupid time difference. Well I hope it was a good one!

Bethany said...

You know what I would do? Make an appointment with another real dentist if you can find one and see what he says. I'm always suspicious of wisdom teeth procedures. They seem to always recommend you have them out, but when you press them as to why, I've always been surprised with the answers. Anyhoo, you've got a few years there, right? Why not take a break from the medical stuff for a while. I think you could use it.

Pete 'n Stephy said...

hi!! we will be stationed there in august or september. maybe my hubby can take them out for you, he is the best dentist ever =)