Monday, February 9, 2009

Physical Terrorists

In case you were wondering, physical therapy on a broken elbow does NOT feel good. Nope, not one bit.

It's officially been 4 weeks since it broke, and in another 2 days I can stop wearing the splint. At my last appointment the Dr. told me I came really close to needing surgery. Luckily the danger of the bone chip moving around at this point is pretty low, so that danger has hopefully passed. I'm trying to keep in mind throughout this whole ordeal that it could have been MUCH worse. Anyway, this morning I had my first PT appointment (and last for the next 3-4 weeks because THE physical therapist at the base hospital is going out of town tomorrow- great timing). I seriously thought I was going to break down crying and possibly pass out at one point. It felt like my arm was going to snap in half; I had mental images of chickens being de-boned throughout most of the session- you know, like someone pulling apart buffalo wings (my mind goes to odd places when I'm in distress). 
Anyway, I have instructions for daily therapy to do on my own. Not fun and it takes up a lot of time, but if it fixes my arm in the end, then obviously it'll be worth it. Moving on...

In other updates, since multiple people have asked, this is the car we bought a couple weeks ago:It's a 1998 Toyota Caldina. It isn't particularly flashy, but it has 4 wheel drive and the price was right. So far Corey has been doing all the driving here. I don't feel particularly comfortable driving in the snow and ice for the first time ever on the left-hand side of the road with only one arm (and, let's face it, I'm kind of just a scaredy-cat). I'll start getting serious about acclimating to driving here in a couple days when I'm out of the splint and my arm has loosened up a bit.

Did I mention we got our stuff? Well we did last week. The past few days have been spent trying to get the house in order. Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

I guess that's about it. Catch you later!

1 comment:

GatorGirl said...

I went through physical therapy after a knee surgery, then another knee injury... It is NO FUN!!! Its torture lol. I feel for you.

Totally with you on Marley and Me btw. I went and bought a copy of my own this weekend complete with pictures and I thought I was going to start crying again. What a good book!